When Naomi mentioned that Community was her favourite TV show too, I knew I’d found a kindred spirit.
Throw in a love of mindfulness, spirituality, and the rainforest, and the deal was sealed.
Naomi’s had an incredible journey from overwhelmed soul-crushingly anxious head case, to liberated loving healing entrepreneur. Like I said… soul sister!
I know you’ll love getting to know Naomi too. Dive in, comrade.
1. How did you become a Radical Renegade?
It was my own healing journey that led me want to coach and help others. As a teenager I had crippling anxiety and panic attacks that became worse into my 20′s. I was on anti-depressants at a young age and was in some form of mainstream therapy for about 8 years, still my anxiety remained, in fact it had gained power over me.
I stopped leaving the house unless I really needed to. When I did go out I became paranoid about being close to an exit ‘just in case’. I would sit awake in bed at night trembling, crying and wishing my anxiety would leave me alone!
In 2005 I discovered meditation, which changed everything. I forced myself to get my butt to a weekly class despite feeling anxious and it completely changed my life. I learnt about the power of the present moment, the magic of guided imagery and the capacity for self-healing that was already within me.
In 2006 I became a qualified spiritual healer and meditation teacher and even though anxiety was still a part of my life, I was no longer afraid of it. Then I discovered Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and it helped me get over those final hurdles to become anxiety-free.
I was amazed at how simple, yet effective ACT was for me so I decided to become an ACT practitioner as well. I absolutely LOVE helping people discover mindfulness, tap into their spirituality and life their best life!
2. How do you maintain a rocking attitude?
- Mindfulness practice
- Following my heart
- Allowing myself to feel however I am feeling without judgement.
3. What would be your #1 piece of advice to help someone do a 180 towards self love?
Even though I’ve had times in my life where I have disliked or even hated myself, I actually find self-love really easy now, but I guess that comes with years of practice.
My advice is always to begin with self compassion. Talk to and “hold” yourself as you would if you we supporting and nurturing a loved one or a dear friend. Be there for yourself!
Once you master self compassion, self-love is the natural next step.
4. What are the last 3 books you read?
1) I’m a bit of a Russ Harris groupie as I’ve done his ACT training so I recently read “The Reality Slap”, which is a great resource for people who are stuck in an undesirable situation (although I would always recommend The Happiness Trap as his best book).
2) The Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte. Danielle’s raw & honest writing style and this book truly did fire me up.
3) A pile of dream and sleep study books, none of which were all that notable in their own right. While researching for my own book about dream analysis I read everything I could get my hands on about sleep, sleep studies, dreams, dream meanings, Jung, Freud, you name it!
5. You’ve just published your own book - tell us all about it!
Funnily enough, my book is not about mindfulness, spiritual healing or ACT. It’s about dream analysis!
I started writing it years ago as a resource for myself so that I could look up dream symbols to confirm their meaning for clients and I just kept writing (with a 2 year break in between when I had my daughter).
I hope to inspire people to develop a deeper relationship with themselves by better understanding the messages in their dreams. It is available on Amazon for Kindle.
Isn’t Naomi amazing?! I love how she has kept adding to her transformational toolbox of peace so that anxiety no longer rules her life. What’s in your transformational toolbox? Head over to the Facebook page and let me know! You can also take a closer look at her book and the work that she has amazingly done over the years.
Naomi Goodlet is a Mindfulness Crusader, Spiritual Rebel and Anxiety Hacker. Check out her free Mindfulness E-book “Be Here Now” with 14 free mindfulness audios at her website http://naomigoodlet.com