This is pretty much the opposite of mindful eating but a hilarious example of impulsive eating!
Seriously though, learning to eat more mindfully was a big step on my journey to love my body, treat it right, and end my tortured relationship with food.
Paying attention to what you eat and why can have a big impact but it doesn’t need to be hard.
Here are 21 simple ways to make your meal more mindful.
- Sit down
- Put your fork / spoon / chopsticks down between each bite
- Smell your food
- Don’t watch TV while you eat
- Don’t Tweet while you eat
- Don’t eat at your desk or computer
- In your head, describe the taste and texture of each mouthful
- Imagine where each ingredient has come from, imagine the tiny seeds sprouting and growing, taking in the sunshine + water, being harvested and then delivered to you
- Express deep heartfelt gratitude for the food you are about to eat
- Take a breath between each mouthful
- Time how long your meal took then try to take longer next time
- Repeat the mantra “My body takes all it needs and releases the rest”
- Create a beautiful table setting and admire it while you eat
- Use the fine china (even if you’re dining alone)
- Use quality ingredients and notice the difference
- Imagine you’re tasting everything for the first time
- Relax your face
- Repeat the mantra “I am eating now”
- Try a new ingredient or recipe
- Take a photo of your meal
- Enjoy it!
What about you? Got any simple steps for mindful eating? Share them in the comments below so I can add them to the arsenal.